Read an Ebook Week, Some Insights

Read an Ebook Week, March 2-8, 2014
My books on Smashwords:


Read an Ebook Week is an international celebration of ebooks in which thousands of authors, publishers and retailers feature free and discounted ebooks to help promote the joys of e-reading to the world's readers.  Each year, Smashwords authors are the most active participants, and our store features the largest selection of participating titles.  It's a fun promotion, because the more the participating authors promote their involvement, the more readers then go on to discover new Smashwords authors.  It's writers-helping-writers at its finest.
(The Smashwords Team)

I have made The Sunflower That Roared and Mary Scary free, and all the others are at 75% off.

It's been four years since I started this adventure, or experiment. I would be very appreciative if you would write a review, or just rate the stories!

Here are some of the more delightful reviews:

Mary Scary:

Loving Scary Mary.......I loved, loved, loved this book! It's a nicely twisted childrens tale that reminds me of Mr. Edward Gorey's bedtime stories! Great fun!! (*****; via B&N)


Loved ItI can totally connect with the author.Best book ever. (***; via B&N)

[sic] I hate this book now that i read it. It is not for kids .Its shocking and gross. I think it is very gorry .I think its ok to teach kids life lesens but not this way!I am 10 and i am scared now!If there was a 0 star rateing thats what iwould rate it. What ever you do dont get this book! (*; via B&N)

It's crazy corkie and cool &awsome super cala fradgilistic expeala dasuos (via iTunes)

and for The Sunflower That Roared:

Great! I think that adults brothers sisters ants uncles and grandparents sould read this story to there children so they can read it to there children let us make our children feel happy on a day that dident go very well. Who will do there best whith me? Post back soon. (*****; Makayla, via B&N)

My 7-year old daughter wants to say the author is a talented writer and drawer. Thank you for the nice book! (Via iTunes)
For Quack-A-Doodle-Baa!

With me being a vegetarian this book was a short simple easy read. It explains to kids about whats on their dinner plate. Its kinda tells you about your diet without intimadating you (if you are overweight). A good story for all ages. (****, B&N) 
For Mangoes, Gloves and Coconuts:

Nothing objectionable, in my area, if its lost its forever gone as no one is probably going to turn it in to lost and found. I thought using a chewed mango pit was a bit offputting (****)
Most of the reviews are via Barnes and Nobel readers, followed in number by iTunes, Smashwords; Goodreads only a few, Sony ebooks disappears in March, alas, though Kobo continues...

When I look at numbers, most downloads have been through iTunes (~140k), then B&N (~100k), then Kobo, Sony, Smashwords; though of course, strictly speaking it's all through Smashwords. Most books were downloaded in 2011. Diesel is growing; the rest tapering off.

There are some pirated copies of The Sunflower drifting around. I want to do a complete update of it some time, incorporating lessons learned over the past four years. I have had a lot of fun and heartbreak so far. I have made tons of money...not. (About $180.) I want to do it better.

Now if you will provide some inputs, you will be participating in an experiment, like a citizen scientist. (even if you're, gasp, an engineer, like Peggy Seeger...:)) This might turn out to be the slowest experiment ever, since, isn't life is a kind of experiment in any case?


The catalog goes live at one minute past midnight on March 2 Pacific time, and expires 11:59pm on March 8.


Popular Posts